UN Environment CEP strengthens cooperation with regional organizations in the Caribbean
Get our headlines on WHATSAPP: 1) Save +1 (869) 665-9125 to your contact list. 2) Send a WhatsApp message to that number so we can add you 3) Send your news, photos/videos to firstname.lastname@example.org
CRFM is an inter-governmental organization with its mission being “To promote and facilitate the responsible utilization of the region’s fisheries and other aquatic resources for the economic and social benefits of the current and future population of the region”. The CRFM consist of three bodies – the Ministerial Council; the Caribbean Fisheries Forum; and the CRFM Secretariat.
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Secretariat and the Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism will focus on:-
- identification and evaluation of marine species for listing under the SPAW Protocol
- monitoring and management of Sargassum seaweed influx in coastal waters, coral reefs, mangroves and other coastal and marine ecosystems.
- facilitating capacity building for the purpose of developing skills, expertise and experience appropriate to the Caribbean reality in conservation
- improving scientific understanding and assessment of fisheries and marine ecosystems as a basis for effective conservation, management and sustainable use of the marine resources.
Caribbean Industrial Research Institute (CARIRI)
CARIRI has been a reputable name in the Region, an invaluable Caribbean asset which is a multifaceted Institution providing service in the areas of Laboratory and field testing, Consulting, Research and Development and Training. Since its establishment, CARIRI has become a widely recognized centre of excellence, leading and serving through innovation and technology and is committed to local and regional development.
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between UN Environment and the Caribbean Industrial Research Institute will focus on:-
- Analytical Testing and Techniques for water, wastewater and air
- Land Based Interventions for improving water quality in marine and freshwater environments
- Ground Water and Aquifer Assessment
- Alternative processes and Technology for Waste Management
- Climate Change Mitigation
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.