The St Kitts Tourism sector is a major pillar in the country’s economic development. A primary goal, based on sound market assessment and an understanding of sustainable development, is to attract affluent and experienced travelers worldwide.
While we continue to enjoy a significant rise in cruise tourism, our long-term approach is to build and support airlift from major gateways and to invest in developing tourism infrastructure targeted towards the luxury market, specifically through our niche markets – golf, dive, yachting and MICE.
Several spectacular developments and hotel renovations are underway.
One recently completed major development is the new private terminal – the YU Lounge – at the Robert L. Bradshaw International Airport. This ultra-luxury terminal has significantly enhanced the arrival experience for the upscale and the discerning visitor.
Other ongoing high-end developments include:
- Christophe Harbour, the luxury resort project launched in 2012 on 2,500 acres on the southeastern peninsula of the island.
- The Ocean’s Edge Resort which includes two-bedroom, poolside cottages with private plunge pools. The resort development overlooks a golf course, and features 381 beachfront and hillside properties and 37 detached villas.
- Kittitian Hill, set on 40 hillside acres on the northern part of St. Kitts, will feature villas, apartments, a cottage hotel, a spa, a golf course and a village center for the arts.
- Cockleshell Bay, set on 150 acres on the southeast peninsula, will include the Caribbean’s first Park Hyatt hotel, residential townhomes, condominiums and 86 estate villas as well as a marina, a casino and several restaurants.
- The Silver Reef Resort in the Frigate Bay for which some 60 villas and apartments are planned. 24 of its 36 completed units have already been sold.
Travelers arriving by commercial air enjoy nonstop service from major gateways, including New York, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Toronto and London Gatwick.
These are exciting times for St. Kitts, which continues to receive accolades the world over identifying it as a premier tourism destination. In 2014 the island was ranked third (3rd) on the List of the Best Islands in the World and the Best Caribbean Vacations, seventh (7th) on the list of Best Beach Honeymoon Destinations in the World, eighth (8th) in the List of Best Caribbean Honeymoons and the Best Affordable Caribbean Destinations by U.S News and World Report, and number eight (8) on the list of the Top ten (10) Best Islands for a Holiday by ‘Places to See In Your Lifetime’. St. Kitts has also ranked number four (4) on the List of Destinations Leading the Caribbean in the Number of Hotel Rooms Under Construction as cited by the latest Caribbean/Mexico Hotel Development Report.
The sights and sounds of St. Kitts are nothing short of life changing. However, only the surface of St. Kitts can be experienced through everyday senses. Proud, pure and painstakingly protected, St. Kitts seeps into your soul with every day that passes. In fact, with every encounter with its natural treasures and its gentle people you begin to experience the island on a deeper level.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.