HEADLINES

ST.KITTS OPPOSITION STAGE ANOTHER DOZEN MAN PROTEST. ATTEMPT TO DISRUPT OPERATIONS AT ELECTORAL OFFICE UNSUCCESSFUL

Get our headlines on WHATSAPP: 1) Save +1 (869) 665-9125 to your contact list. 2) Send a WhatsApp message to that number so we can add you 3) Send your news, photos/videos to times.caribbean@gmail.com


The St.Kitts Opposition Labour Party on Friday morning staged a dozen person protest at the Electoral Office in downtown Basseterre In what turned out to be an unsuccessful attempt to disrupt the usual operations of the office . The protest was an attempt to disrupt the operation to bring attention to their issues regarding the operations of the office. The 12 protestors which Included 7 Opposition candidates for the upcoming elections stood for most of the morning at the office with persons passing back and forth paying little or no attention to the event. The party had been promoting the protest for several days and had been encouraging supporters to come out to support the protest. However only a dozen persons showed up. Similarly a dozen persons protested the unveiling of the BHS 3D Model some weeks ago. 
“This is yet a other unsuccessful or failed protest by the SKN Labour Party. This is the 2nd time they have sort to mobilize and garner support for a protest and only a dozen persons showed up. A dozen including 7 of the candidates. Opposition Leader Douglas was once again a NO-SHOW at the protest much like the one held a few weeks ago at the unveiling of the BHS 3D Model. The Opposition Labour party has clearly not been able to motivate or inspire support for their causes or calls regarding their various issues with the current very successful Team Unity administration,” said one Observer .
During an address to the nation on May 23, Acting Prime Minister, the Honourable Shawn Richards, has categorically stated that no one will be denied the right to vote once they are on the Register of Voters, noting that the machine to issue National IDs is down.
Acting Prime Minister Richards stated that a lot of work has been done by the Supervisor of Elections, Registration Officers and the Staff at the Electoral Office, “to ensure that the system is sound and that citizens qualified to vote are registered. This process takes place every day and is ongoing.”
Acting Prime Minister Richards said that the Supervisor of Elections, Elvin Bailey, reported that “between January and March, some 514 persons were registered, a 270% increase over the 191 persons registered at the same time last year. For April, another 142 persons were enrolled. That is 656 persons for the year or 383 more persons than during the same period last year. There have also been some 174 transfers recorded since January.”

Leave a comment