Taken From St.Kitts-Nevis Observer,
Commissioner of Police CG Walwyn has resigned effective today, March 27th, according to sources close to the Force.
The Observer understands that his resignation letter was dated February 26th. Reports are that while he gave no reason for his resignation, he made claims for 5 months’ salary because the previous administration had promised to double his salary after the elections.
Walwyn did confirm with The Observer that, “Friday is my last day.” While Walwyn, hired in August 2011, has said that his contract – which was originally for three years – was renewed for three additional years last October. Reports are that there was no new contract and he was working on a month-by-month basis. Walwyn’s term as Commissioner has been dogged by controversy. Numerous reports and leaked documents suggest that he did not have a good relationship with senior officers who are said to have challenged some of his decisions, while rank and file officers have grumbled about favoritism and unfair promotions. Late last year, Walwyn was criticized by Nevis’ Deputy Premier, retired senior police and the public for berating the Nevis Division for poor performance, despite statistics that showed otherwise. Prior to the February 16th General Elections, the Commissioner was also openly criticized by the then Opposition for being too close to the Denzil Douglas-led government, and in recent weeks he has come under fire for purportedly circumventing procedure in promoting an Inspector to Acting Superintendent.
Earlier this month the strain between him and the new administration came to a head, when during a radio interview, Walwyn defended his promotion of Inspector Rosemarie Isles to Acting Superintendent. He called in to a local radio talk show from the US, insisting that he had had the approval of the then Prime Minister, and had followed the same procedure as all other promotions. His comments were subsequently refuted in a statement issued by the Police Press and Public Relations Office. In what is believed to be the first time that a sitting Commissioner has been publicly challenged by the Police Force, the statement refers to his comments as “unfortunate,” and said that they would be sent to the Police Services Commission (PSC). In the same radio interview (March 9) it became clear that Walwyn’s position as Commissioner was on shaky ground when he admitted that he was uncertain whether or not he was still in charge of the Force. “I have not been officially told by my Deputy Commissioner, who has not been returning my phone calls. I have contacted the Prime Minister and the Attorney General and they have not been responding to my emails, so I don’t know what’s going on in St. Kitts. You had two homicides in St. Kitts since I’ve been gone, and none…of the people who work for me or under me have notified me. I’ve written emails and I’ve gotten no response…so I don’t know if I’m in charge of the police force, I know the contract says I am. But based on the treatment that they’re giving me, I don’t believe that I am,” he said. The Commissioner left the Federation the day after the new Cabinet was sworn in (Feb 22) despite reportedly being asked by the government to delay his requested vacation leave for a few days to assist with the transition. Walwyn has directed the media to address questions to the authorities, but attempts to get official confirmation from Minister of National Security, PM Dr. Timothy Harris have so far been unsuccessful.
This media house has been reliably informed that the government is looking for someone to fill the leadership position. While Assistant Commissioner Ian Queeley has been touted as front runner for the post, it has also been rumored that retired Assistant Commissioner Joseph Liburd has been approached and former Assistant Commissioner Joseph Richardson was contacted to act consultant to the new Commissioner.