By Rickie Ramdass January 21, 2019
(TRINIDAD EXPRESS) — A triple shooting in the St Joseph area yesterday evening claimed the lives of two people, including a woman, bringing the murder toll for the year to date to 29.
The murders were just two of five killings that took place in various parts of the country between Saturday night and 5 p.m. yesterday.
The latest victims have been identified as Krystal Heeralal, Keron Rampersad, 27-year-old Adio Patrick and Jake Halls, 38
Six murders over the weekend have pushed the murder toll to 30 for the year so far.
The latest incident occurred in Carenage on Sunday night with the murder of Jamal Moses.
Police said Moses was standing along the road in Mt Pleasant around 8 pm when gunmen shot him several times about the body. He died on the scene.
Moses’ murder followed an unrelated double murder at Bangladesh in St Joseph. In that incident, the victims were identified as Krystal Heeralal and Keron Rampersad.
Police said at about 5 pm, a lone gunman opened fire on a group of people who were at Marigold Drive, shooting three. Heeralal and Rampersad were killed, while a third victim, identified as Shamila St John, was also wounded.
St John was said to be fighting for her life at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mount Hope up to last night. Police are yet to determine a motive for the killing.
In another unrelated murder in San Fernando, Jabari Paul, 18, of Penal, had just left a fete when he was shot while walking along Mon Chagrin Street, San Fernando, near the Southern Division Fraud Squad office. Police said he was shot several times in the head.
According to a police report, Paul, the father of a two-year-old boy, died at about 9.15 am at the San Fernando General yesterday. Police said that Paul had earlier had an argument with some men and left a party.
A sentry stationed at the Fraud Squad office heard the gunshots and when he looked outside saw Paul lying on the roadway bleeding profusely. The officer called for help and officers of the Guard and Emergency Branch responded and took Paul to the hospital where he later died.
Paul’s aunt, who lives near the scene of the shooting, said she did not know where he went or where he was going. She said she was asleep when she heard the gunshots. She said she thought the shooting victim could have been one of her neighbours but not her nephew.
“I was sleeping when I heard about 10 shots rang out and I got up to see what I could but I couldn’t see anything. I suspected that it was somebody around here because I know everybody here. Somebody called us later on and told us about it,” Paul’s aunt said.
Based on what neighbours said, Paul’s aunt said the police had declared Paul dead at the scene, but when his arms started shaking the police took him to the hospital.
In the weekend’s first incident, at about 8 pm on Saturday a man who was found shot several times about his body on the side of the road succumbed to his injuries while warded at the Sangre Grande District Hospital. He was identified as Jake Halls, 38, of Matura. He was last seen liming at a village bar on Friday. Police said it is believed he was shot several times while walking on his way home from the bar.
In another unrelated incident, at about 8.30 pm on Saturday, Adio Patrick was standing along the St Francois Valley Road, Belmont, when he was approached by a group of men who opened fire on him. He was shot several times about the body. He was taken to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
Investigations are continuing into all incidents.
— by Rhondor Dowlat. Additional reporting by Kevon Felmine and Ralph Banwarie