Opposition Leader of Barbados, Mia Mottley has announced a special relief concert in support of Dominica’s relief efforts.
“The reality is that Barbadian artistes have always been treated extremely generously in Dominica, we know that from our own dealing with them. We therefore felt that we would want to be able to put together a relief concert,” Mottley told a press conference on Friday 28 August 2015.
Dominica suffered severe infrastructural damage as a result of the passage of Tropical Storm Erika on Thursday 27 August.
There have been twenty (20) confirmed deaths so far while several others are reported missing. French and Venezuelan search and rescue teams are currently on island assisting in this regard.
“We’re conscious that a lot of the artistes are away or going away in early September, so we are targeting early October for the concert ‘One Caribbean for the children of Dominica’ and we would hope that we can also bring in a couple artistes from other islands to participate in it,” Mottley added.
The Opposition is also spearheading a Dominica Children’s Relief Fund as well as a special charity fund.
That organizing committee will be established separate from the Dominica Children Relief Fund organization.
“We want to get the message out to Barbados, Dominica is still in the grips of facing a grim, grim, grim situation, search and rescue is very much under way still,” Mottley said.